January 11, 2011

Georges Rochegrosse's "Wolf and Man"

Georges Rochegrosse Victor Hugo Wolf and Man

I don't particularly like this print although there are things about it that I like. First, I think the subject is great and in the hands of a better artist it could have been a great work. Second, this was an illustration for a work by Victor Hugo (whether it was a poem or a story I do not know) which is why it caught my attention. I wouldn't say anything about this print is bad, but to me it seems to be unambitious and typical. I think the problem is that there is a lack of stylization although the subject afforded plenty of opportunity for it.

1 comment:

  1. Based upon the names "Ursus and Homo", I would assume that this is from _The Man Who Laughs_, which I have not read yet.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Laughs

    ReplyDelete