April 29, 2011

Hans Holbein the Younger's "Portrait of a Lady with a Squirrel and a Starling (Anne Lovell?)"

On this Day in the History of Art: David Cox born (1783), Lorado Taft born (1860)

Nationality: German
Born/Died: 1497 or 1498 - 1543
Creation Date: c. 1527–1528
Size: 22 x 15.3 in. (56 x 38.8 cm)
Media: Oil and tempera on oak panel
Location: National Gallery, London, U.K.

Hans Holbein is undoubtedly my favorite painter from the Northern Renaissance and I am not sure why I haven't posted more of his work. In particular I like the idea of posting a week of his beautiful drawings.

I believe this woman is holding a European red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) as opposed to the Eastern gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) which is what I see in the US. Apparently, during this time period squirrels were commonly kept as pets. It also appears to have a tiny leash, which is adorable.

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing this included in a programme for the theatre production of 'His Dark Materials' as an example of a woman and her daemon. :)

    ReplyDelete