July 15, 2011

Cor Blok's Illustrations for "Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit"

Nationality: Dutch
Cor Blok is an artist that many other Objectivists might not like, which is understandable. I think his work is very charming and despite the lack of rendering in his work I can see that consideration was put into the shape and color relationships. Although I enjoy many of his paintings I don't think he is a great artist. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find out much about him and a Wikipedia article for him is definitely overdue.

Another reason that I really like his work is that although his paintings look vaguely like Eastern European folk art, many of them are actually illustrations for J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit--which are books that I love. Most fantasy illustrators do not employ such a loud style so his work is a little bit refreshing to me in that regard. Because of his strange style it is not always immediately apparent which scenes from the stories are being depicted. I think it's fun to look at them carefully and to try to guess what scenes from the story are being illustrated. Can you guess which scenes are which?











No comments:

Post a Comment