March 17, 2012

Frederic Edwin Church's "Niagara Falls from the American Side"

Nationality: American
Born-Died: 1826-1900
Creation Date: 1867
Size: 101.3 x 89.5 inch (257.5 x 227.3 cm)
Media: Oil on canvas
Location: The National Gallery of Scotland, Edinburgh, UK

This is one of two incredible paintings of Niagara Falls painted by Frederic Church.  I will post the second painting tomorrow.  When I was in Scotland I was fortunate to see this painting regularly.  I was surprised to discover how painterly it is, particularly in the rocks near the bottom. 

I'm posting this painting because my wife and I just saw visited Niagara Falls yesterday.  Although I didn't have a copy of this painting with me, I briefly tried to find the spot Church took this view from, but I don't think that location is accessible anymore.  In any case, below are some of our photos of the falls.  If I have a chance, I'll try to get a better photo and perhaps I can find Church's spot. 

Frederic Edwin Church Niagara Falls from the American Side










No comments:

Post a Comment