July 31, 2012

Georges de la Tour's "The Education of the Virgin"*


Seven works of art I would like to see at the Frick

I recently visited New York and seeing the Frick was part of my plans, but due to time constraints I couldn't do it.  Anyway, in an effort to turn lemons into lemonade, I'm going to post seven works of art from the Frick that I wish I could have seen.  

Nationality: French
Born-Died: 1593-1652
Creation Date: c. 1600 to 1652
Size: 33 x 39 1/2  in (83.8 x 100.3 cm)
Media: Oil on canvas 
Location: The Frick Collection, New York City, New York, USA

I don't know for sure but it's possible that the image here is actually from a copy in France, but it is extremely similar to the painting in the Frick nonetheless.  The anatomical rendering here is slightly awkward--it reminds me of George Tooker--but the light is great (as I would expect.)  In any case I'd like to see this painting.

* the authorship of this painting has been questioned.


No comments:

Post a Comment